Književnost za decu u nauci i nastavi (2022), (str. 273-287)
AUTOR(I): Ivana R. Ćirković-Miladinović
Using literature in young learners’ EFL (English as a Foreign Language) classroom can be a motivating medium for language teaching and learning. Although with some difficulties in the application of literary texts in English language teaching, literature may contribute to the improvement of students’ motivation for learning and could bring to more effective English language instruction. In line with the previously said, the paper will give an outline of how, when and why literature should be incorporated in EFL curriculum with the purpose of emphasizing the use of literature as a popular technique for teaching both basic language skills (i.e. reading, writing, listening and speaking) and language areas (i.e. vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation). This theoretical research aims at answering the following questions: 1) What is the role of literature in teaching and learning English as a foreign language?, 2) What are the approaches a language teacher can use online when teaching literary texts in young learners’ EFL classroom? and 3) What are the benefits of using different genres of literature in teaching English online? As a conclusion, the paper will provide useful ideas and activities for creative English language teaching in online surrounding by using literature as a tool rather than an end in teaching English to young learners.
teaching English online, use of literature in EFL classroom, young learners.
- Al-Mohair, Alwahaishi (2020): H. Al-Mohair, S. Alwahaishi, Study on students’ experiences about online teaching during CoVID-19 outbreak, Technium Social Sciences Journal, 8(1), 102–116. https://doi.org/10.47577/tssj.v8i1.701
- Collie, Slater (1991): J. Collie, S. Slater, Literature in the Language Classroom (5th Ed.), Glasgow: Cambridge University Press.
- Ćirković-Miladinović (2017a): I. Ćirković-Miladinović, Foreign language learning strategies used by young learners, 226 Annales Universitatis Pedagogicae Cracoviensis, Studia Anglica, 7, 66‒76, Krakow: Wydawnictwo Naukowe UP. ISSN 2299-2111, DoI 10.24917/22992111.7.
- Ćirković-Miladinović (2017b): I. Ćirković-Miladinović, Pozitivni aspekti korišće- nja književnosti za decu u nastavi engleskog jezika na mlađem uzrastu [Positive aspects of using children’s literature in teaching English to young learners.], u: V. Jovanović, B. Ilić (ur.), Književnost za decu u nauci i nastavi, Jagodina: Fakultet pedagoških nauka, 429‒440. UDK 371.3::811.111-028.31, 821.163.41-93.
- Drama Notebook (2021): All Rights Reserved Distance Learning Drama Activities. www.dramanotebook.com. Retrieved on 1/5/2021 from: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ v4evkkp3arf30d0/dn-distance-learning-drama-activities.pdf?dl=0.
- Gray, Block (2012): J. Gray, D. Block, The marketization of language teacher edu- cation and neoliberalism, In: D. Block, J. Gray, M. Holborow (Eds.), Neoliberalism and applied linguistics, London: Routledge, 114‒143.
- Gwin (1990). T. Gwin, Language Skills through Literature, English Teaching Forum, 28(3), 10‒13.
- Goodwin (2001): J. Goodwin, Teaching Pronunciation, In: M. Celce-Murcia, Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language, 3rd ed., Heinle & Heinle.
- Hallman (2017): H. L. Hallman, Millennial Teachers. Learning to Teach in Uncer- tain Times, New York: Routledge, Taylor & Francis.
- Hwang, Embi (2007): D. Hwang, M. A. Embi, Approaches Employed by Secondary School Teachers to Teaching the Literature Component in English, Journal of Pendidik dan Pendidikan, 1‒23.
- Isariyawat, Yenphech, Intanoo (2020): C. Isariyawat, C. Yenphech, K. Intanoo, The role of literature and literary texts in an EFL context: cultural awareness and lan- guage skills, Journal of Language and Linguistic Studies, 16(3), 1320‒1333. Doi:10.17263/ jlls.803748
- Lazar (1993): G. Lazar, Literature and language teaching, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Llach, (2007): P. A. Llach, Teaching English through Literature: The Waste Land in the Classroom, Odisea journal, 7(17), 7‒17.
- Loh, Hu (2014): J. Loh, G. Hu, Subdued by the system: Neoliberalism and the be- ginning teacher, Teaching and Teacher Education, 41, 14‒21. ISSN: 0742-051X, Elsevier.
- Much, Retnaningdyah (2011): K. Much, P. Retnaningdyah, Literature in EFL Class- room, Retrieved on 1/5/2021 from http://myteaching forum.blogspot.com/.
- Savic (2016): V. Savic, Reading difficulties in English as a foreign language, unpub- lished doctoral dissertation, Novi Sad: University of Novi Sad, Faculty of Philosophy. Retrieved from: https://nardus.mpn.gov.rs/bitstream/handle/123456789/8156/Disert- acija9371.pdf
- Whitehead (1968): R. Whitehead, Children’s literature: Strategies of teaching, Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall Inc.