АУТОР(И): Nihad Hodžić, Kenan Kadić, Anes Kazagić
The energy transition basically implies a phased and significant reduction in the use of fossil fuels, until the final cessation of use in the near future. Renewable energy sources and alternative fuels are an increasingly important part of the energy transition. At the same time, it is necessary that energy systems increase energy efficiency and environmental acceptability. In this regard, great efforts are being made to expand the portfolio of primary fuels in existing large energy systems, e.g. thermal power plants. Therefore, today in large boilers, in order to reduce NOx emission, staged air supply for combustion is inevitably used as the primary measure in the furnace (air staging). In addition to the previous measure, there are many examples of staged fuel supply to the combustion zone (fuel staging), and still a small number of examples of the use of third or additional fuel, e.g. application of biogas or natural gas in combustion of pulverized solid fuels (reburning technology). General, these measures simultaneously increase the efficiency of primary energy conversion from fuel and reduce the emission of undesirable components into the environment. The results of this paper show the extent to which the effects of the use of natural gas in the co-firing of Bosnian coal and waste wood biomass are expressed. In this process there is an additional reduction of NOx in proportion to the share of gas – at a process temperature of 1350 °C and at 10% of the energy content of gas in combustion with coal, compared to emissions without additional fuel, recorded reduction of NOx emissions by more than 250 mg/mn3.
Coal, Wood biomass, Natural gas, Combustion, NOx emissions
- Nussbaumer, T. Combustion and co-combustion of biomass: Fundamentals, technologies and primary measures for emission reduction, Energy Fuels, Vol. 17, No. 6, pp. 1510-1521, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1021/ef030031q
- Hodžić, N. Istraživanje kosagorijevanja uglja i biomase usmjereno na sma-njenje emisija primarnim mjerama u ložištu, Mašinski fakultet, Sarajevo, 2016.
- Tsumura, T., Okazaki, H., Dernjatin, P., Savolainen, K. Reducing the mini-mum load and NOx emissions for lignite-fired boiler by applying a stable-flame concept, Applied Energy, 74, No. 3-4, pp. 415-424, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-2619(02)00196-4
- Wang, J., Fan, W., Li, Y., Xiao, M., Wang, K., Ren, P. The effect of air staged combustion on NOx emissions in dried lignite combustion, Energy, 37, No. 1, pp. 725-736, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2011.10.007
- Kuang, M., Li, Z., Liu, C., Zhu, Q. Experimental study on combustion and NOx emissions for a down-fired supercritical boiler with multiple-injection multiple-staging technology without overfire air, Applied Energy, 106, pp. 254–261, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.01.072
- Kuang, M., Li, Z., Ling, Z., Zeng, X. Evaluation of staged air and overfire air in regulating air-staging conditions within a large-scale down-fired furnace, Applied Thermal Engineering, 67, No. 1-2, pp. 97–105, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2014.03.009
- Rozendaal, M. Impact of coal quality on NOx emissions from power plants, Delft University of Technology, Delft, 1999. http://resolver.tudelft.nl/uuid:d6c34e67-24a0-460b-86c3-44d2c67491bf
- Kazagić, A., Smajević, I. Experimental investigation of ash behavior and emissions during combustion of Bosnian coal and biomass, Energy, Vol. 32, No. 10, pp. 2006-2016, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2007.03.007
- Kazagić, A., Smajević, I. Synergy Effects of Co-firing of Wooden Biomass with Bosnian Coal, Energy, 34, No. 5, pp. 699-707, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2008.10.007
- Kazagić A., Smajević I., Duić N. Selection of sustainable technologies for combustion of Bosnian coals, Thermal Science, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 715-727, 2010. https://doi.org/10.2298/TSCI1003715K
- Smajević I., Kazagić A., Musić M., Bečić K., Hasanbegović I., Sokolović Š., Delihasa-nović N., Skopljak A., Hodžić N. Co-firing Bosnian Coals with woody biomass: experimental studies on a laboratory-scale furnace and 110 MWe power unit, Thermal Science, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 789 – 804, 2012. https://doi.org/10.2298/TSCI120120122S
- Nareddy, S., Moyeda, D., Zhou, W., Marquez, A., Swanson, L., Duval, S. NOx reductions Achieved Through Air Staging in Cyclone Fired Boilers, in Proc. International Clearwater Coal Conference, Clearwater, Florida, USA, 1-5 June 2008.
- Chae, T., Lee, J., Lee, Y., Yang, W., Ryu, C. Pilot-Scale Experimental Study on Impacts of Biomass Cofiring Methods to NOx Emission from Pulverized Coal Boilers – Part 2: NOx Redu-ction Capability through Reburning versus Cofiring, Energies, 14, No. 20, pp. 6552, 2021. https://doi.org/10.3390/en14206552
- Hodžić, N., Kazagić, A., Smajević, I. Influence of multiple air staging and reburning on NOx emissions during co-firing of low rank brown coal with woody biomass and natural gas, Applied Energy, Vol. 168, pp. 38-47, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.01.081
- Hodzic, N., Kazagic, A., Kadic, K. Analysis of the Behavior of the Ash Depending on the Temperature of Combustion and Air Supply System, In: Karabegović I. (Ed.), New Technologies, Development and Application IV. NT 2021. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems, Vol. 233, pp 365-373, Springer, Cham., 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-75275-0_41
- Hodzic, N., Kazagic, A., Kadic, K. Air Staging and Reburning to Achieve Low Emissions During Co-firing Coal and Biomass. In: Karabegović I. (Ed.), New Technologies, Development and Application III. NT 2020. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems, Vol 128, pp 657-666, Springer, Cham., 2020.https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-46817-0_76