9th International Scientific Conference Technics and Informatics in Education – TIE 2022 (2022) стр. 414-419
АУТОР(И): Vesna Petrović, Ana Radović Firat, Lidija Palurović
The paper investigates some perspectives of oral presentation as an authentic task for providing instruction to students who create their own presentations on a specified topic. For that purpose, undergraduate students who attend ESP courses were exposed to oral presentations prepared by their colleagues in order to be instructed on how to prepare their own presentations. Upon the task completion, a survey was conducted to collect the students’ opinions on the impact of the instruction that contains authentic material on their preparation strategies, self-regulation and self-evaluation in the process of fulfilling the task. The results show that oral presentation used as authentic material for ESP instruction positively affect the strategies and activities that students use during the preparation for the task completion. It also promotes students’ self-regulation and self-evaluation within the same process.
oral presentation; authentic material; ESP instruction; strategies; self-regulation; self-evaluation
-  Widodo, H.P. (2016). Teaching English for Specific Purposes (ESP): English for Vocational Purposes (EVP) in W. A Renandya & H. P. Widodo (Eds.), English language teaching today: Linking theory and practice (pp. 277-291). Springer International Publishing.
-  Nunan, D. (2013). Learner-Centered English Language Education, Routledge: New York.
-  Skehan, P. (2003). Task-based Instruction, Language Teaching 36 (1), 1–14.
-  Byram, M. (2000). Routledge Encyclopedia of Language Teaching and Learning, London and New York: Taylor & Francis Routledge.
-  Vidosavljević, M. (2021). Uloga nastavnika u primeni i razvoju multimodalnog učenja u nastavi stranih jezika. Beograd: Filološki fakultet. Unpublished Doctoral Thesis.
-  Shehadeh, A. (2005). Task-based Language Learning and Teaching: Theories and Applications. In C. Edwards & J. Willis (Eds.) Teachers Exploring Tasks in English Language Teaching (pp. 13-30). The United States and United Kingdom: Palgrave Macmillan Ltd.
-  Willis, J. (1996). A Framework for Task-Based Learning. England: Pearson Education Limited.
-  Edwards, C. & Willis, J. R. Teachers exploring tasks in English language teaching. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
-  Vučo, J., & Manić, D. (2016). O interkulturnim vrednostima projektnih zadataka–primer PETALL projekta. Jezici i kulture u vremenu i prostoru, 5, 1-6.
-  Jerković, J., & Rakić, D. (2017). Prilagođavanje pristupa zasnovanog na zadacima u nastavi engleskog jezika za oblast tehnološko-inženjerske struke. Nastava i vaspitanje, 66(3), 547-560.
-  Alwi, N. F. B., & Sidhu, G. K. (2013). Oral presentation: Self-perceived competence and actual performance among UiTM business faculty students. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 90, 98-106.
-  Council of Europe, (2001). Common European framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
-  Polovina, N. & Dinić, T. (2014). Načini ocenjivanja studentskih prezentacija u nastavi stranog jezika struke, In Caklejić, V., Vujović, A. & Stevanović, M. (Eds). Zbornik radova. Treća međunarodna konferencija Strani jezik struke: prošlost, sadašnjost, budućnost (pp. 409-416), Beograd: Fakultet organizacionih nauka.
-  Thornbury, S. (2006). An A-Y of EFL: A dictionary of terms and concepts. Oxford, UK: Macmillan.
-  Adams, T. (1995): What makes materials authentic? ERTC Document Reproduction Service No. ED 391 389.
-  Morrow, K. (1977). Authentic texts and ESP. In S. Holden (Eds.), English for specific purposes. Modern English Publications (pp. 26-34). London: Modern English Publications.
-  Gilmore, A. (2007). Authentic materials and authenticity in foreign language learning. Language teaching, 40(2), 97-118.
-  Oguz, A. & Ozge Baha, H. (2008). The Importance of Using Authentic Materials in Prospective Foreign Language Teacher Training. Pakistan Journal of Social Sciences 3 (4), 328-336.
-  Richards, J. C. (2008). Teaching Listening and Speaking: From Theory to Practice. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
-  Macwan, H. J. (2015). Using visual aids as authentic material in ESL classrooms. Research Journal of English language and literature (RJELAL), 3(1), 91-96.
-  Bajrami, L., & Ismaili, M. (2016). The role of video materials in EFL classrooms. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 232, 502-506.
-  Borszéki, J. (2014). Activities that have worked well in teaching ESP. In F. Beatrix (Eds.), Success and Challenges in Foreign Language Teaching (pp. 55–64). Budapest: Nemzeti Közszolgálati Egyetem.
-  Beresova, J. (2015). Authentic Materials-Enhancing Language Acquisition and Cultural Awareness. Procedia- Social and Behavioral Sciences,192, 195-204.
-  Morita, N. (2000). Discourse Socialization through Oral Classroom Activities in a TESL Graduate Program, TESOL Quarterly 34 (2), 279-310.