AUTHOR(S) / АУТОР(И): Vojkan Miljković, Marko Mladenović, Niko Radulović
Download Full Pdf
ABSTRACT / САЖЕТАК:
Tree Morus species are growing in Serbia, Morus alba, Morus nigra and Morus rubra. Morus leaves are used in traditional medicine, and after collecting them, drying is most practiced method for preservation. Hydrodistillation of 2 fresh and 2 dryed for one month samples of Morus alba and nigraleaves was done by using the original Clevenger-type apparatus. The composition of essential oils was determined by GC-MS aparathus. The yields of essential oils obtained by hydrodistillation were 0.0011 and 0.0012% from the dried plant material (MNL-2 and MAL-2, respectively) and 0.0080% (w/w) from both samples of fresh leaves (MNL-1 and MAL-1). The predominant constituent in all essential oils was trans-phytol. Only the essential oil obtained from dried M. alba leaves contained the chemical compound bovolid (8.1%). Based on results, bovolid can be used as indicator for evaluating the age of white mulberry leaves.
KEYWORDS / КЉУЧНЕ РЕЧИ:
Morus alba, Morus nigra, essential oil, bovolid
REFERENCES / ЛИТЕРАТУРА:
- Adams RP. (2007) Identification of Essential Oil Components by Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometry, Ed. 4., 1-698. Allured Publishing Corporation, Carol Stream.
- Blagojević PD, Radulović NS, Skropeta D. (2015) (Chemotaxonomic) implications of postharvest/storage-induced changes in plant volatile profiles – the case of Artemisia absinthium L. essential oil. Chemistry & Biodiversity. 12: 1237-1255.
- Boidingh J., Taylor R.J. (1962) Trace constituents of butterfat. Isolation and identification of unsaturated aliphatic lactones. Nature. 194: 909-913.
- Bown D. (1995). Encyclopedia of herbs and their uses. 1-424. Dorling Kindersley, Michigan.
- Demole E., Berthet D. (1972) A Chemical Study of Burley Tobacco Flavour (Nicotiana tabacum L.). I. Volatile to medium-volatile constituents (b.p. ≦ 84°/0.001 Torr). Helvetica Chimica Acta. 55(6): 1866-1882.
- Horita H., Hara T., Sannai A., Fujimori T. (1985) The Light-produced Volatile Components of Green Tea. Agricultural and Biological Chemistry. 49(12): 3601-3603.
- Josifović M. (1975) Flora of Serbia Vol. 2, 50-55. Belgrade, Serbia, Srpska akademija nauka i umetnosti.
- Lardelli G., Dijkstra G., Harkes P.D., Boldingh J. (1966) A new γ-1actone found in butter. Recueil des Travaux Chimiques des Pays-Bas. 85: 43-55.
- MacLeod G. (1991) Identification of bovolide and dihydrobovolide in beef. Food Chemistry, 40: 113-117.
- Muller J., Heindl A. (2006) Drying of medicinal plants. 237-252. Frontis.
- Machii H. (1989). Varietal differences of nitrogen and amino acid contents in mulberry leaves. Acta Sericologica et Entomologica. 1: 51-61.
- Miljković V., Nikolić G., Nikolić Lj., Arsić B. (2014) Morus species through centuries in pharmacy and as food. Advanced technologies. 3(2): 111-115.
- Radulović N, Dekić M, Stojanović-Radić Z. (2012) Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of the volatile oils of Geranium sanguineum L. and G. robertianum L. (Geraniaceae). Medicinal Chemistry Research. 21: 601-615.
- Takahashi K., Somega T., Muraki S., Yoshida T. (1980) A New Keto-alcohol, (-)-Mintlactone, (+)-iso Mintlactone and Minor Components in Peppermint Oil. Agricultural and Biological Chemistry. 44(7): 1535-1543.