AUTHOR(S) / АУТОР(И): Radoslava Savić Radovanović, Slobodanka Janićijević, Jelena Aleksić Radojković
Download Full Pdf
ABSTRACT / САЖЕТАК:
The aim of this research was to evaluate the microbiological quality of ice cream sold at catering facilities-restaurants, cake shops and bakeries on the territory of Belgrade. The material consisted of 40 samples of ice cream collected during monitoring in 2021 and 2022. Microbiological analyses were carried out according to the Rulebook on General and Special Conditions of Food Hygiene at any Stage of Production, Processing and Trade („Official Gazette of the RS„, No. 72/2010, 62/2018). ISO standard methods for detection of microorganisms in ice cream samples were applied. Out of 40 samples, all were in accordance to the safety criteria, as Salmonella spp. were not detected in any of tested samples. Four samples (10%) did not meet the hygiene criteria in production processas more than 100 CFU/g Enterobacteriaceae were detected. Out of 4 samples, one sample of ice cream was produced in the small craft facility and 3 samples were from mobile ice cream vending machines. It can be concluded that examined samples of ice cream from catering facilities in the area of Belgrade were safe for consuption, since they met the safety criteria prescribed by the applicable legislative. The improvement of hygienic measures during the production process of ice cream in small craft fecilities and vendom mobile mashines was ordered.
KEYWORDS / КЉУЧНЕ РЕЧИ:
Enterobaceteriacae, ice cream, microbiology, safety, Salmonellae spp.
REFERENCES / ЛИТЕРАТУРА:
- Adžić S. (2022). Bakteriološka ispravnost sladoleda iz poslalstičarnica u Novom Sadu. Diplomski rad, Univerzitet u NovomSadu, Poljoprivredni Fakultet, Novi Sad.
- Baraheem O.H., EL-Shamy H.A., Bakr W.M and Gomaa N.F. (2007).Bacteriological Quality of Some Dairy Products (Kariesh Cheese and Ice Cream) in Alexandria. Journal of the Egyptian Public Health Association, 82, 491-510.
- Bell C., Kyriakides A. (1998). Listeria: a practical approach to the organism and its control in foods. Publisher: Blackie Academic & Professional. pp.1-150 ref. 95.
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency (2020). Bacterial Pathogens in Dairy Ice Cream – April 1, 2017 to March 31, 2020 ,Food microbiology – Targeted surveys – Final report.
- Chukuezi C. (2010). Food Safety and Hygienic practices of street food vendors in owerri, Nigeria. Studies in Sociology of Science 1, 50-57.
- Cook K.L.K., Hartel R.W. (2010). Mechanisms of ice crystallization in ice cream production. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety 9: 213–222.
- De Schrijveret K.,Buvens G.,Possé B.,Van den Branden D.,Oosterlynck O., De Zutter L.,Eilers K.,PiéradD.,Dierick K., Van Damme-Lombaerts R., Lauwers C., Jacobs R. et al. (2008). Outbreak of verocytotoxin-producing E. coli O145 and O26 infections associated with the consumption of ice cream produced at a farm, Belgium. Euro Surveillance 13, 9–10.
- El-Makarem Abo, H.S. (2017).Microbial quality of street-vended ice cream.Journal of Veterinary Medical Research, 24 (1).http:// www. bsu.edu.eg/ bsujournals/JVMR.aspx
- Fadihl S.J., Mohammad S.Q. and Al-qrtani Y. M. (2019) 2nd International Science ConferenceIOP Conf. Series: Journal of Physics: Conf. Series 1294.062057IOP Publishingdoi:10.1088/1742-6596/1294/6/062057
- Fetsch A., Contzen M., Hartelt K.,Kleiser A.,Maassen S., Rau J.,Kraushaar B., Layer F.,Strommenger B. (2014). Staphylococcus aureus food-poisoning outbreak associated with the consumption of ice-cream. Int. Journal of Food Microbiology 187, 1–6.
- Güçlü D., Güneş-Bayır A., Erdoğan Ö., Özkan B. (2022). Determination of Microbiological Quality of Ice Cream Sold in Istanbul and Their Evaluation in Terms of Public Health. K Int J Health, 5 (3): 86-93.
- Hennessy T.W., Hedberg C.W., Slutsker L., White K.E., Besser-Wiek J.M., Moen M.E., Feldman J., Coleman W.W., EdmonsonL.M., MacDonald K.L.,Osterholm M.T. (1996). A national outbreak of Salmonella Enteritidis infections from ice cream. The New England Journal of Medicine 334, 1281–1286.
- Kanbakan U., Con AH.,Ayar A. (2004). Determination of microbiological contamination sources during ice cream production in Denizli, Turkey. Food Control 15, 463-470.
- Milutinović M. (2016). Bakteriološka ispravnost hrane na teritoriji grada Niša. Master rad. Univerzitet u Nišu, Prirodno-matematički fakultet, Niš.
- Mohammed G.M.O., El-Ghialty H.A., Riad E.M. (2013).Prevalence of enteric bacteria producing toxins in ice-cream and kareish cheese in Port-Said City markets.Assiut Veterinary Medical Journal 59(136): 16-21.
- Nalbone L., Vallone L., Giarratana F., Virgone G., Lamberta F., Marotta S.M., Donato G., GiuffridaA., Ziino G. (2022). Microbial Risk Assessment of Industrial Ice Cream Marketed in Italy. Applied Sciences 12, 1988. https://doi.org/10.3390/ app12041988
- Pouillot R., Klontz K.C., Chen Y., Burall L.S., Macarisin D., Doyle M., Bally K.M., Strain E., Datta A.R., Hammack T.S., VanDoren J.M. (2015). Infectious dose of Listeria monocytogenes in outbreak linked to ice cream, United States. Emerging Infectious Disease, 22, 2113.
- Rulebook of Quaility of Milk Products and Starter Cultures, “Official Gazette RS No 33/10, 69,10, 43,13, 34/14).
- Rulebook on General and Special Conditions of Food Hygiene at any stage of Production, Processing and Trade („Official Gazette of RS“, No. 72/2010, 62/2018).
- Seo K.H., Valentin-Bon I.E., Brackett R.E. (2006). Detection and enumeration of Salmonella Enteritidis in homemade ice cream associated with an outbreak: Comparison of conventional and real-time PCR methods. Journal of Food Protection 69, 639–643.
- Yan L., Pei X., Miao J., Li Y., Yang S., Peng Z., Yang X., Mei L., Yang Q., Ren H, Yang D, Shi H.(2022). Surveillance and examination of microbial contamination in ice cream in China. Food Quality and Safety, 6, 1–8. https:// doi. org/ 10.1093/ fqsafe/fyac047
- Zadre J. Racz A. and Turković L.F. (2010). Zdravstvena ispravnost sladoleda na području Grada Dubrovnika u razdoblju od 2006. do 2008. godine. Mljekarstvo 60 (1), 67-71.