AUTHOR(S) / АУТОР(И): Slobodanka Stanojević-Nikolić, Milan P. Nikolić, Marina Šćiban, Vladimir V. Srdić, Vladimir B. Pavlović
Download Full Pdf
ABSTRACT / САЖЕТАК:
Viable Saccharomyces cerevisiae cells were immobilized by silica-alginate matrix and obtained spherical composite particles and used for biosorption of Cd(II) ions. The obtained composite displayed high cadmium removal efficiency of 99.2, 95.7, 88.3 and 78% in the successive four adsorption steps. The adsorption capacity after four step of Cd(II) removal was ~14,2 mg of Cd(II) per g of biosorbent. Pseudo-second-order kinetic agree well with the experimental values suggesting both adsorption and ionic exchange are simultaneously performed on the surface of used biosorbent.
KEYWORDS / КЉУЧНЕ РЕЧИ:
biosorption, heavy, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, metals, biocomposite
REFERENCES / ЛИТЕРАТУРА:
- Aryal M. (2019). Calcium alginate entrapped Eupatoriumadenophorum Sprengel stems powder for chromium (VI) biosorption in aqueous mediums. PLOS ONE. 14:e0213477
- Coleman, N.T., McClung, A.C., Moore, D.P. (1956). Formation constants for Cu(II)-peat complexes, Science 123, 330-331.
- Genchi G, Stefania Sinicropi M, Lauria G, Carocci A, Catalano A. (2020). The Effects of Cadmium Toxicity. Inter J Environ Res Public Health, 17, 3782-3805.
- Giese EC. (2020). Mining applications of immobilized microbial cells in alginate matrix: an overview. Rev. Int. Contam. Ambie., 36, 775-787
- Hazrat A, Khan E, Ilahi I. (2019). Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology of Hazardous Heavy Metals: Environmental Persistence, Toxicity, and Bioaccumulation. J. Chem., Article ID 6730305, 14 pages.
- He J, Chen JP. (2014). A comprehensive review on biosorption of heavy metals by algal biomass: Materials, performances, chemistry, and modeling simulation tools. Bioresour. Technol., 160, 67–78.
- Kubier A, Wilkin RT, Pichler T. (2019). Cadmium in soils and groundwater: A review. Appl. Geochem., 108, 104388.
- Keskin NOS, Celebioglu A, Sarioglu OF, Uyar T, Tekinay T. (2018). Encapsulation of living bacteria in electrospun cyclodextrin ultrathin fibers for bioremediation of heavy metals and reactive dye from wastewater. Colloids Surf. B Biointerfaces. 161, 169–176.
- Mishra A, Gupta B, Kuma N, Singh R, Varma A, Thakur IS. (2020). Synthesis of calcite-based bio-composite biochar for enhanced biosorption and detoxification of chromium Cr (VI) by Zhihengliuella sp. ISTPL4. Bioresour. Technol., 307, 123262.
- San NO, Celebioglu A, Tümtaş Y, Uyar T, Tekinay T. (2014). Reusable bacteria immobilized electrospun nanofibrous webs for decolorization of methylene blue dye in wastewater treatment. RSC Adv., 4, 32249–32255.
- Stanojević-Nikolić S, Pavlović KV, Nikolić MP, Srdić VV, Šćiban M. (2022). Removal of cadmium(II) ions using Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Leuconostoc mesenteroides immobilized in silica materials by two processing methods. Materials Research., 25, e20210568.