Књижевност за децу у науци и настави (2022), (стр. 257-271)
АУТОР(И): Vera M. Savić
As multimodal texts in which both pictures and words are used to communicate meaning, graphic novels are increasingly finding their place in a foreign language classroom. While multimodality supports comprehension and increases motivation for reading in a foreign language, graphic novel contents offer ample opportunities for developing the 21st century skills, like visual literacy, critical and creative thinking, problem solving, communicative competence, and intercultural awareness and sensitivity. The paper explores how primary learners’ intercultural sensitivity can be developed through a number of age-and language-appropriate activities applied before, during and after reading a graphic novel American Born Chinese by Gene Yang (2006). The aim of the paper is to support the didactic potential and pedagogical value of graphic novels to foster intercultural learning and develop empathy in primary English language learners
graphic novels, intercultural sensitivity, critical thinking and reading, English as a foreign language, primary language learners.
- Bennett (1993): M. Bennett, Towards Ethnorelativism: A developmental mod- el of intercultural sensitivity, In: R. M. Paige (Ed.), Education for the intercultural experience, Yarmouth, ME: Intercultural Press.
- Bennett, Bennett (2004): J. Bennett, M. Bennett, Developing intercultural sensivity: An integrative approach to global and domestic diversity, In: D. Landis, J. Bennett, M. Bennett (Eds.), Handbook of intercultural training, Thousand oaks, CA: Sage, 147‒165.
- Bennett (2017): M. Bennett, Development model of intercultural sensitivity, In: Y. Kim (Ed), International encyclopedia of intercultural communication, Wiley.
- Binkley, Erstad, Herman, Raizen, Ripley, Miller-Ricci, Rumble (2012): M. Bin- kley, o. Erstad, J. Herman, S. Raizen, M. Ripley, M. Miller-Ricci, M. Rumble, Defin- ing twenty-first century skills, In: P. Griffin et al. (Eds.), Assessment and teaching of 21st century skills, Springer, 17‒66.
- Brown, Lee (2015): H. D. Brown, H. Lee, Teaching by principles: An interactive approach to language pedagogy, London: Pearson.
- Council of Europe (2018): Council of Europe, Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment ‒ Companion Volume with New Descriptors, Strasbourg: Council of Europe.
- Gianfrancesco (2019): M. Gianfrancesco, American Born Chinese: Teachers’ Guide, Pop Culture Classroom.
- Griva, Papadopoulos (2019): E. Griva, I. Papadopoulos, Teachers sketch the student profile in a multicultural/multilingual classroom, In: R. Nata (Ed.), Progress in Education, Nova Press Publishers, 79‒102.
- Husband (2010): T. Husband, He’s too young to learn about that stuff: An- ti-racist pedagogy and early childhood social studies, Social Studies Research & Prac- tice, 5(2), 61‒75. Retrieved from http://www.socstrpr.org.
- Indiana Department of Education (2011): Indiana Department of Educa- tion, The Iceberg Concept of Culture, Office of English Language Learning & Mi- grant Education. Retrieved from http://www.msdwt.k12.in.us/msd/wpcontent/up- loads/2011/10/iceburgofculture.pdf
- Iqbal (2021): T. Iqbal, Importance of intercultural sensitivity, MAP Education and Humanities, 1(2), 1‒6, doi: https://doi.org/10.53880/2744-2373.2021.1.2.1.
- Kress, Van Leeuwen (2006): G. Kress, T. van Leeuwen, Reading images: The gram- mar of visual design (2nd ed.), London, UK: Routledge, doi:10.4324/9780203619728.
- Lambert (2007): J. Lambert, Digital storytelling cookbook, Digital Diner Press. McCloud (1994): S. McCloud, Understanding comics: The invisible art, New York, NY: Harper Collins.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of Serbia (MoESTDS) (2017): MoESTDS, Zakon o osnovnom obrazovanju i vaspitanju [Law on Primary Education]. Retrieved from https://www.paragraf.rs/propisi_download/ zakon_o_osnovnom_obrazovanju_i_vaspitanju.pdf.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of Serbia (MoESTDS) (2019): MoESTDS, Bylaw on the first cycle primary education curric- ulum and the Fourth Grade curriculum, Official Gazette of the Republic of Serbia: Education Gazette, 5/19. Retrieved from http://www.pravno-informacioni-sistem. rs/SlGlasnikPortal/viewdoc?uuid=7f60db16-8760-4e25-bc8a-f69fe1fb2e2c.
- Porto, Byram (2015): M. Porto, M. Byram, Developing intercultural citizenship education in the language classroom and beyond, Argentinian Journal of Applied Linguistics, 3 (AJAL), 9‒29.
- Sampedro, Hillyard (2004): R. Sampedro, S. Hillyard, Global Issues, oxford: oxford University Press.
- Savic (2013): V. Savic, Developing intercultural literacy in the young learner classroom, In: V. Savic, I. Cirkovic-Miladinovic (Eds.), Conference Proceedings no. 16. Integrating Culture and Language Teaching in TEYL, Jagodina: Faculty of Educa- tion, 35‒51.
- Savić (2020): V. Savić, Visual literacy for young language learners: Multimodal texts in Content-Based Instruction, In: G. Neokleous, A. Krulatz, R. Farrelly, Hand- book of research on cultivating literacy in diverse and multilingual classrooms, Hershey, Pennsylvania, USA: IGI Global, 166‒189, DoI: 10.4018/978-1-7998-2722-1.ch009.
- Savić, Prošić-Santovac (2020): V. Savić, D. Prošić-Santovac, Context-sensi- tive pedagogical knowledge and skill: Beliefs and pedagogical practices of English language teachers in Serbia, In: I. Papadopoulos, V. Savić, Teaching young language learners in South Eastern Europe: A multidimensional research on policy and pedagog- ical practices, Disigma Publications, 41‒64. ISBN: 978-618-5242
- Savić, Shin (2021): V. Savić, J. Kang Shin, Developing intercultural awareness and sensitivity in the language classroom: From personal stories to global under- standing, Humanising Language Teaching, 23(6), ISSN 1755-9715, available at https:// www.hltmag.co.uk/dec21/developing-intercultural-awareness-and-sensitivity.
- Shin (2021): J. Kang Shin, Introduction: Teaching English as an additional lan- guage in the 21st century, In: P. Vinogradova, J. K. Shin, Contemporary Foundations for Teaching English as an Additional Language: Pedagogical Approaches and Classroom Applications, Routledge, 3‒12.
- Shin, Crandall (2014): J. K. Shin, J. Crandall, Teaching young learners En- glish: From theory to practice, Boston, MA: National Geographic Learning/Cengage Learning.
- Shin, Savić, Machida (2021): J. K. Shin, V. Savić, T. Machida, The 6 principles for exemplary teaching of English learners: Young learners in a multilingual world, Alexandria, VA, USA: TESoL Press.
- Sun (2017): L. Sun, Using Graphic Novels to Teach Critical Thinking & Read- ing for Peace Education, Multicultural Education, 22‒28.
- United Nations Development Programme (2022): United Nations Develop- ment Programme, CoVID-19 pandemic. An integrated global response is an invest- ment in our future. Retrieved from https://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/ coronavirus.html.
- Whiting (2016): J. Whiting, Using comics in the English language classroom, Idiom, 46(4).
- Yang (2006): G. L. Yang, American Born Chinese, First Second.
- Yang (2016): G. L. Yang, TedX Talk, December 2, 2016, available at: www.you- tube.com/watch?v=oz4JqAJbxj0.