АУТОР(И): Tijana D. Gajić, Neda M. Maenza
Mobile-assisted language learning (MALL) stimulates students’ motivation and improves their foreign language skills. The principal objective of this paper is to compare the most frequently used mobile applications for learning foreign languages, primarily English, by students in Serbia. Additionally, we wanted to reflect on their views and experiences. Qualitative research, in the form of a focus group, was conducted in order to determine the clearest possible picture of students’ views concerning the usefulness of different language apps, primarily Duolingo, HelloTalk and WordUp. Quantitative research, in the form of an online questionnaire, was also conducted so as to analyse students’ overall perceptions of mobile applications in English language learning. The respondents are Singidunum University students who voluntarily agreed to participate in this research. The results showed that innovative ways of perfecting foreign languages, such as mobile applications, are captivating for students. In addition, they highly value visual and engaging materials. They believe Duolingo is the best app for improv- ing vocabulary and grammar, whereas HelloTalk is an ideal app for developing speaking skills. WordUp is recommended as a dictionary and as a revolutionary app for learning new English words. Students agreed that the combination of all three mobile applications would be optimal, depending on their language level and learning goals.
mobile applications comparison, foreign language learning, Duolingo, HelloTalk, WordUp.
- About Us: Kahoot! Key Numbers. Retrieved in March 2022 from https://kahoot.com/. Abreu Avellaneda, J. N. (2022). Enhancing English Vocabulary Acquisition of Co- lombian High School Students Through Vocabulary Learning Techniques, Mobile Apps, and Web 2.0 Technologies. Retrieved in August 2022 from https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jose_Norman_Avellaneda/publication/361516602_Enhancing_English_Vocabulary_Acquisition_of_Colombian_High_School_Students_Through_Vocabulary_Learning_Techniques_Mobile_Apps_and_Web_20_Technologies/links/62b628e5d49f803365b702bf/ Enhancing-English-Vocabulary-Acquisition-of-Colombian-High-School-Students-Through-Vocabulary-Learning-Techniques-Mobile-Apps-and-Web-20-Technologies.pdf.
- Boiron, M. (2010). Comment motiver les apprenants: Innovation et créativité en cours de langues. In Motiver à apprendre et apprendre à motiver. European Network of Language Teacher Association.
- Božinović, N., & Perić, D. (2012). Uporaba strategija učenja u odnosu na znanje i razinu učenja stranoga jezika. Metodički ogledi: časopis za filozofiju odgoja, 19(2), 115‒135. Debétaz, E. (n.d). 5 Trends in Education that continue in 2022. Retrieved in March 2022 from https://hospitalityinsights.ehl.edu/education-trends-2022.
- Duolingo: The world’s best way to learn a language. Retrieved in April 2021 from https://duolingo.com.
- Editorial Team (2020, December). WordUp App Review. Retrieved in March 2022 from https://appedus.com/wordup-app-review/.
- Ekstein, N. (2017, July). Here Is the Best Language Learning App for You. Retrieved in May 2021 from https://bloomberg.com/news.
- Gajić, T., & Maenza, N. (2019). Korišćenje mobilnih aplikacija u nastavnom pro- cesu učenja stranih jezika na tercijarnom obrazovnom nivou. Inovacije u nastavi, 32(4), 133‒142. DOI: 10.5937/inovacije1904133G.
- Gajić, T., & Maenza, N. (2020). Modalitet tandemskog učenja kao vid savremenog trenda u učenju stranog jezika: primer mobilne aplikacije HelloTalk. Nastava i vaspitanje, 69(3), 361‒375. DOI: 10.5937/nasvas2003361G.
- Gajić, T. & Maenza, N. (2022). The Comparison of Most Popular Mobile Applica- tions for Learning Foreign Languages. In M. Stanišić (Ed.), International Scientific Confer- ence Sinteza 2022 (pp. 335‒340). Singidunum University.
- Gobler, E., & Murray, A. (2022, May). The 7 best language learning apps: Ro- setta Stone it at home. Retrieved in June 2022 from https://www.zdnet.com/article/best- language-learning-app/.
- Grant, M. (2019). Difficulties in defining mobile learning: analysis, design char- acteristics, and implications. Educational Technology Research and Development, 67, 361‒388. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11423-018-09641-.
- Harmon, J. (2012). Unlock literacy with IPads. Learning & Leading with Technol- ogy, 39, 30‒31.
- HelloTalk: Talk to the World. Retrieved in February 2021 from https://hellotalk.com. Iravi, Y., & Malmir, A. (2022). The effect of lexical tools and applications on
- L2 vocabulary learning: A case of English academic core words. Innovation in Language Learning and Teaching. DOI: 10.1080/17501229.2022.2102638.
- Johnson, D. (2021, January). Ten of the Best Language Learning Apps for Every Learning Style. Retrieved in May 2021 from https://forbes.com/sites/forbespersonal-shop- per/2021/01/22/best-language-learning-app-2021/.
- Kim, H. S. (2013). Emerging Mobile Apps to Improve English Listening Skills. Multimedia-Assisted Language Learning, 16(1), 31‒57.
- Lai, C., & Zheng, D. (2018). Self-directed use of mobile devices for language learn- ing beyond the classroom. The Journal of the European Association for Computer Assisted Language Learning, 30(3), 299‒318. doi:10.1017/S0958344017000258.
- Loewen, S., Crowther, D., Isbell, D. R., Kim, K. M., Maloney, J., Miller, Z. F., & Rawal, H. (2019). Mobile-assisted language learning: A Duolingo case study. ReCALL, 31(3), 293‒311. doi:10.1017/S0958344019000065.
- Maenza, N., & Gajić, T. (2019). Mobilna aplikacija WordUp – inovativno i zabavno usvajanje vokabulara engleskog jezika. In M. Stanišić (Ur.), Sinergija formalnog i nefor- malnog obrazovanja i njen uticaj na socioekonomski položaj mladih (str. 44‒47). Univerzitet Sinergija.
- Maenza, N., & Gajić, T. (2020). WordUp Mobile Application – an Entertaining Form of Perfecting Your English Vocabulary. In M. Stanišić (Ed.), International Scientific Conference Sinteza 2020 (pp. 105‒110). Singidunum University.
- Nikolić, J., Nikolić, J., Gajić, T., & Gagić, A. (2022). The Use of Kahoot! In For- eign Language Teaching. In M. Stanišić (Ed.), International Scientific Conference Sinteza 2022 (pp. 347‒352). Singidunum University.
- Nushi, M., & Makiabadi, H. (2018). HelloTalk: A Language Exchange App on Your Smartphone. Roshd Journal of Foreign Language Teaching, 33(2), 16‒23.
- Palmai, K., & Smale, W. (2021, January). UK leading the way in use of language- learning apps. Retrieved in February 2022 from https://bbc.com/news/business-55562267. Park, Y. (2011). A pedagogical framework for mobile learning: Categorizing edu- cational applications of mobile technologies into four types. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning, 12(2), 78‒102. DOI: https://doi.org/10.19173/irrodl.v12i2.791.
- Rivera, A. V. (2017). HelloTalk. Calio Journal, 34(3). 384‒392. DOI: https://doi. org/10.1558/cj.32432.
- Rodríguez-Arancón, P., Arús, J., & Calle, C. (2013). The Use of Current Mobile Learning Applications in EFL. Procedia ‒ Social and Behavioral Sciences, 103, 1189‒1196. Rosell-Aguilar, F. (2016). User Evaluation of Language Learning Mobile Applica-
- tions: A Case Study with Learners of Spanish. In A. Palalas & M. Ally (Eds.), The Inter- national Handbook of Mobile-Assisted Language Learning (pp. 545‒581). Beijing: China Central Radio & TV University Press.
- Šavranj, J., Katić, M., & Zivlak, J. (2021). Internet platforme za učenje stranog jezi- ka. U B. Dumnić (Ur.), Trendovi razvoja: Online nastava na univerzitetima (str. 213‒217). Univerzitet u Novom Sadu.
- Shortt, M., Tilak, S., Kuznetcova, I., Martens, B., & Akinkuolie, B. (2021). Gami- fication in mobile-assisted language learning: A systematic review of Duolingo literature from public release of 2012 to early 2020. Computer Assisted Language Learning. DOI: 10.1080/09588221.2021.1933540.
- Tlili, A., Padilla-Zea, N., Garzón, J., Wang, J., Kinshuk, K., & Burgos, D. (2022). The changing landscape of mobile learning pedagogy: A systematic literature review. Interactive Learning Environments. DOI: 10.1080/10494820.2022.2039948.
- Tommerdahl, J. M., Dragonflame, C. S., & Olsen, A. (2022) A systematic review examining the efficacy of commercially available foreign language learning mobile apps. Computer Assisted Language Learning. DOI: 10.1080/09588221.2022.2035401.
- Vallejo-Correa, P., Monsalve-Pulido, J., & Tabares-Betancur, M. (2021). A sys- tematic mapping review of context-aware analysis and its approach to mobile learning and ubiquitous learning processes. Computer Science Review, 39, https://doi.org/10.1016/j. cosrev.2020.100335.
- Wang, Y. H. (2017). Integrating Self-Paced Mobile Learning into Language Instruc- tion: Impact on Reading Comprehension and Learner Satisfaction. Interactive Learning Environments, 25(3), 397‒411.
- Wibowo, H., & Raihani, S. (2019). The Effectiveness of HelloTalk App on Eng- lish Writing Skills. Lingua Jurnal Pendidikan Bahasa, 15(2), 15‒22. DOI: https://doi. org/10.34005/lingua.v15i2.581.
- WordUp: Discover & Learn the most useful English word. Retrieved in January 2021 from https://wordupapp.co.
- Yildiz, S. (2012, June). Use of iPad applications to introduce English as a foreign language to young Turkish learners [Paper presentation]. CALICO Conference, University of Notre Dame, South Bend, IN.