АУТОР(И): Snežana М. Zečević
Project-based learning has become an inevitable part of teaching English since it is regarded as a contemporary educational concept that enables the purposeful use of language. The main aim of the paper was to investigate the effectiveness of the use of this approach for improv- ing the English language, which was done in the following ways: 1) by assessing the test results concerning language systems (vocabulary and grammar) and skills (reading, listening, speaking, writing), before and after the use of the project-based learning approach, and 2) by map- ping students’ attitudes concerning the usefulness of this approach for improving language systems (vocabulary and grammar) and skills (reading, listening, speaking, writing). The quantitative research was conducted on a sample comprising 30 first-year students at the Depart- ment of English Language and Literature at the Faculty of Philoso- phy in Kosovska Mitrovica. The data were gathered by means of the upper-intermediate English tests and a designed questionnaire. They were analysed by applying adequate procedures for statistical data analysis of the SPSS 20.0 program. The results indicate the successful use of project work for improving the English language. In this respect, they provide the basis on which to justify its relevance..
project-based learning, the English language, language systems, language skills
- Аllen 2004: L. Q. Allen, Implementing a Culture Portfolio Project Within a Con- structivist Paradigm, Foreign Language Annals, 37(2), 232–239.
- Аlan, Stoller 2005: B. Alan, F. L. Stoller, Maximizing the Benefit of Project Work, English Teaching Forum, 43(4), 11–12.
- Aljohani 2017: M. Aljohani, Principles of ’Constructivism’ in Foreign Language Teaching, Journal of Literature and Art Studies, 7(1), 97–107.
- Baş 2011: G. Baş, Investigating the Effects of Project-Based Learning on Students’ Academic Achievement and Attitude towards English Lesson, TOJNED: The Online Journal Of New Horizons In Education, 1(4), 1–15.
- Beckett 1999: G. B. Beckett, Project-Based Instruction in a Canadian Secondary School’s ESL Classes: Goals and Evaluations, Unpublished PhD thesis, Van- couver: University of British Columbia.
- Beckett 2002: G. H. Beckett, Teacher and Student Evaluations of Project-Based Instruction, TESL Canada Journal, 19(2), 52–66.
- Beckett 2006: G. Beckett, Beyond Second Language Acquisition, in: G. Beckett & P. Miller (eds.), Project-Based Second and Foreign Language Education, Green- wich: Information Age Publishing, 55–70.
- Bell 2010: S. Bell, Project-Based Learning for the 21st Century: Skills for the Future, Clearing House, 83(2), 9–43.
- Blumenfeld i dr. 1991: P. Blumenfeld et al. Motivating Project-Based Learning: Sus- taining the Doing, Supporting the Learning, Educational Psychologist, 26 (3&4), 369–398.
- Bulach 2003: J. Bulach, Learning English Communication through Project Work: Reaction of Japanese University Students, JALT Hokkaido Journal, 7, 44–54.
- Dörnyei 2007: Z. Dörnyei, Research Methods in Applied Linguistics – Quantitative, Qualitative and Mixed Methodologies, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Đorđević, Blagojević 2017: J. Đorđević, S. Blagojević, Project-Based Learning in Computer-Assisted Language Learning: An Example from Legal English, Наслеђе, 36, 247–259.
- Fragoulis 2009: I. Fragoulis, Project-Based Learning in the Teaching of English as A Foreign Language in Greek Primary Schools: From Theory to Practice, Eng- lish Language Teaching, 2 (3), 113–119.
- Fried-Booth 1986: D. Fried-Booth, Project Work, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Gӧkçen 2005: R. A. Gökçen, Instructors’ and Administrators’ Attitudes Towards Pro- ject Work as an Alternative Assessment Tool and as an Instructional Approach at Karadeniz Technical University School of Foreign Languages Department of Basic English, Unpublished Master’s Thesis, Ankara, Turkey: Bilkent University.
- Guo, Yang 2012: S. Guo, Y. Yang, Project-Based Learning: an Effective Approach to Link Teacher Professional Development and Students Learning, Journal of Educational Technology Development and Exchange, 5(2), 41–56.
- Haines 1989: S. Haines, Projects for the EFL Classroom: Resource Material for Teach- ers, Walton-on-Thames, UK: Nelson.
- Hedge 1993: Т. Hedge, Key Concepts in ELT: Fluency and Project, ELT Journal, 3, 275–277.
- Chu et al. 2011: S. K. W. Chu et al., Study of Inquiry PBL and Reading Outcomes (Hong Kong), China: University of Hong Kong.
- Imtiaz, Asif 2012: S. Imtiaz & S. I. Asif, I Almost Learnt to Learn: Promoting Learn- er’s Autonomy through Project-Based Learning in Access Classrooms, Lan- guage in India, 12.1, 24–45.
- Кeles 2007: S. Keles, An Investigation of Project Work Implementation in A University EFL Preparatory School Setting, Unpublished Master’s Thesis, Ankara: Bilk- ent University.
- Cambridge University Press 2015: Cambridge University Press, First Certificate in English, <http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams-and-tests/first/exam-for- mat/> 2. 9. 2015.
- Мarković, Lazarević 2010: Lj. Marković, N. Lazarević, As Thet Wrote It – Students’ Projects. ELOPE, VII-Spring, 89–114.
- Molina-Torres 2022: M. P. Molina-Torres, Project-Based Learning for Teacher Train- ing in Primary Education, Education Sciences, 12 (10): 647, 1–10.
- Nassir 2014: S. M. S. Nassir, The Effectiveness of Project-based Learning Strategy on Ninth Graders’ Achievement Level and Their Attitude towards English in Gov- ernmental Schools-North Governorate, Unpublished PhD Thesis. Gaza, Pal- estine: The Islamic University of Gaza.
- Оxenden, Latham-Koenig 1997: C. Oxenden & C. Latham-Koenig, New English File
- (Upper-intermediate Student’s Book), Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Poonpon 2008: K. Poonpon, Enhancing English Skills Through Project-Based Learn- ing, The English Teacher, XL, 1–10.
- Railsback 2002: Ј. Railsback, Project-Based Instruction: Creating Excitement for Learning, Portland: North West Regional Education Laboratory.
- Savignon 1997: S. J. Savignon, Communicative Competence: Theory and Class- room Practice: Texts and Contexts in Second Language Learning, USA: The McGraw-Hill Companies, INC. & Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Inc.
- Simpson 2011: Ј. Simpson, Integrating Project-Based Learning in an English Language Tourism Classroom in a Thai University, Unpublished PhD Thesis, North Sydney, Australia: Australian Catholic University.
- Тalat, Chaudhry 2014: А. Talat, H. F. Chaudhry, The Effect of PBL and 21st Century Skills on Students’ Creativity and Competitiveness in Private Schools, The Lahore Journal of Business, Spring 2.2, 89–114.
- Тhomas 2000: J. Thomas, A Review of Research on Project-Based Learning. <http:// www.bie.org/files/researchreviewPBL.pdffrom>. 12. 7. 2013.
- Van den Branden 2013: K. Van den Branden, Task-Based Language Teaching and Learning. In P. Robinson (Ed.), The Routledge Encyclopedia of Second Lan- guage Acquisition, London and New York: Routledge.
- Ziegenfuss 2013: D. Ziegenfuss, Problem-Based Learning for Student Centered Learn- ing. <https://www.widener.edu/SiteData/docs/LIB_Wolfgram/pbl.ppt>. 12. 7. 2013.