АУТОР(И): Goran J. Petrović
In this article, I deal with the anthropological and ontological aspects of Edward Zwick’s The Last Samurai. As far as the film’s anthropological aspect is concerned, I deal with the clash between the West and the East as present therein and, by showing that the film ascribes (ethi- cal) superiority to the dying Japanese feudal culture (i.e., the East), I conclude that it opposes the Western Civilization’s prevalent anthropological stance in the 19th century. As for the film’s ontological aspect, I deal with the question of god’s presence (or absence) in the events shown in it, and conclude that the film can be interpreted from both an atheist and a theist perspective. Apropos of the film’s pro-samurai anthropological aspect, I stress the primitivist utopianism of The Last Samurai.
Edward Zwick, anthropology, ontology, Japan, samurai, honor, ethics, culture, utopia.
- Andress 2016: J. Andress, 19 May 2016. “Why Tom Cruise’s ‘The Last Samurai’ Is Totally Underrated”, Inverse: <https://www.inverse.com/article/15869-why-tom- cruise-s-the-last-samurai-is-totally-underrated>, Accessed 27 September 2021
- Anon 1. Anon. n.d.. The Last Samurai (2003): Awards, IMDb, <https://www.imdb. com/title/tt0325710/awards/?ref_=tt_awd>, Accessed 27 September 2021
- Anon 2. Anon. n.d.. Sociocultural Evolution [PDF file], <https://www.immagic. com/eLibrary/ARCHIVES/GENERAL/WIKIPEDI/W110525S.pdf>, Accessed 26. September 2021.
- 3. Anon. n.d.. Banzai Charge, Wikipedia, <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Banzai_charge>, Accessed 27 September 2021
- Aristotle 2008: The Poetics of Aristotle, S. H. Butcher, Trans., Original work published 347–335 BC, <https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1974/1974-h/1974-h. htm#link2H_4_0008>, Accessed 11 October 2021
- Johnson 1997: Johnson, A History of the American People. London, UK: Weidenfeld and Nicolson/New York, NY: HarperCollins Publishers, Inc.<https://mymission.lamission.edu/userdata/dennisda/docs/Paul%20Johnson%20A%20History%20 Of%20The%20American%20People.pdf>, Accessed 11 October 2021
- Kazuhiko 2019: K. Kazuhiko, “Bushidō: An Ethical and Spiritual Foundation in Japan”, 12 June 2019, com: <https://www.nippon.com/en/japan-topics/g00665/bushido-an-ethical-and-spiritual-foundation-in-japan.html>, Accessed 11. October 2021
- Kipling 1914. R. Kipling, “The White Man’s Burden”, The Five Nations by Rudyard Kipling in Two Volumes, Volume I (15th ). London, UK: Methuen and Co., pp. 94–97, <https://archive.org/details/fivenations01kipluoft/page/n5/ mode/2up?ref=ol&view=theater>, Accessed 27 September 2021
- Lee & Zwick 2014: A. Lee (Interviewer) & E. Zwick (Interviewee), 28 October 2014. “Ed Zwick: The Last Samurai” [Interview transcript], Retrieved from the BBC: <https://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2003/12/15/ed_zwick_the_last_samurai_interview. shtml>, Accessed 11 October 2021
- Logan et al. 2003: J. Logan, E. Zwick & M. Herskowitz. The Last Samurai, <https:// dailyscript.com/scripts/The_Last_Samurai.pdf>, Accessed 28 September 2021
- Ravina 2004: M. Ravina, The Last Samurai: The Life and Battles of Saigo Takamori. Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., <http://www.bakumatsu.ru/lib/ pdf>, Accessed: 27
- September 2021
- Ravina 2010: M. Ravina, “Fantasies of Valor: Legends of the Samurai in Japan and the United States”, ASIANetwork Exchange: A Journal for Asian Studies in the Liberal Arts, 18(1), pp. 80–99.
- Siuda 2008: P. Siuda, Legendary Patriot or Corrupt Egotist? An Analysis of Toyama Mitsuru Through an Interpretation of Dai Saigō Ikun, Retrieved from Masters Theses 1911 – February 214. (115): <https://scholarworks.umass.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1160&context=theses>, Accessed 27 September 2021
- Walsh et 2002: F. Walsh, P. Boyens, S. Sinclair & P. Jackson. (2002). The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, <http://www.fempiror.com/otherscripts/LordoftheRings2- TTT.pdf>, Accessed 29 September 2021
- Wilde 1969: Wilde, The Artist as Critic: Critical Writings of Oscar Wilde, R. Ellmann (Ed.), Chicago, IL: The University of Chicago Press. <https://archive.org/details/ artistascriticcr0000wild_g4j0/page/n3/mode/2up?view=theater>, Accessed 28 September 2021
- Zwick 2003a: E. Zwick, The Last Samurai [Video file], <https://jexmovie. com/watch_The_Last_Samurai_2003.html#video=TiWrZLKc9UqeYsfP- I12hB2wYkFXrIOWXeqPag>, Accessed 27 September 2021
- Zwick 2003b: Zwick, The Last Samurai (2003) Script, <https://transcripts.thedealr. net/script.php/the-last-samurai-2003-1MjO>, Accessed 27 September 2021