АУТОР(И): Nikola Simić, Luka Strezoski, Simiša Simić, Dušan Čohadžić
Е-АДРЕСА: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
The emerging microgrids are mainly powered by renewable distributed energy resources (DERs), such as solar and wind, with batteries as a backup power. These DERs are decoupled from the grid by inverters and thus, their fault currents are dictated by the control strategies programmed in the inverter itself. The inverters’ control strategies are in most cases dictated by the Grid Code requirements, in order to help the microgrid ride through the fault as painless as possible. Thus, in order to have accurate results for microgrid fault calculations, crucially important for setting the relay protection and protecting the entire microgrid, these DERs must be accurately modelled. Unfortunately, these models have not yet been fully developed nor standardized. In this paper, a recently developed model for inverter-based DERs are integrated into the fault current calculation based on the IEC 60909 standard for fault calculations and tested in the state-of-the-art hardware-in-the-loop environment. The test results are very promising, which opens the possibility to standardize these novel models, filling the seriously dangerous gap of not having the standardized fault models for inverter-based DERs.
distributed energy resources, microgrids, fault calculations
- Kasikci, I. Short Circuits in Power Systems: A Practical Guide to IEC 60909-0, John Wiley & Sons, 2018.
- Parhizi, S., Lotfi, H., Khodaei, A., Bahramirad, S. State of the Art in Research on Microgrids: A Review, IEEE Access, Vol. 3, pp. 890-925, 2007.
- Strezoski, L., Dumnic, B., Popadic, B., Prica, M., Loparo, K. Novel Fault Models for Electronically Coupled Distributed Energy Resources and Their Laboratory Validation, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 35, No. 2, pp. 1209-1217, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1109/tpwrs.2019.2943123
- Oon, K.H., Tan, C., Bakar, A.H.A., Che, H.S., Mokhils, H., Illias, H.A., Establishment of fault current characteristics for solar photovoltaic generator considering low voltage ride through and reactive current injection requirement, and Sust. Ener. Reviews, Vol. 92, pp. 478-488, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2018.05.001
- IEC 60909-0 Short-circuit currents in three-phase a.c. systems, Part 0: Calculation of currents, First edition, 2001.
- IEC 60909-0 Short-circuit currents in three-phase a.c. systems, Part 0: Calculation of currents, 2016.
- Aljarrah, R., Marzooghi, H., Yu, J., Terzija, V. Issues and Challenges of Steady-State Fault Calculation Methods in Power Systems With a High Penetration of Non-Synchronous Generation, in Proc. 2019 IEEE Milan PowerTech, pp. 16, 2019.
- Strezoski, L., Prica, M., Loparo, K. Generalized Δ-Circuit Concept for Integration of Distributed Generators in Online Short-Circuit Calculations, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 3237-3245, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/tpwrs.2016.2617158
- Balzer, G. Short-circuit calculation with fullsize converters according to iec 60909. in Proc. Conference of the Electric Power Supply Industry CEPSI 2016, Bangkok, Thailand, 23-27 October 2016.
- Čelanović, N., Čelanović, I., Ivanović, Z. Cyber Physical Systems: A New Approach to Power Electronics Simulation, Control and Testing, Advances in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol 12, No 1, pp. 33-38, 2012. https://doi.org/10.4316/aece.2012.01006