1st International Conference on Chemo and BioInformatics, ICCBIKG 2021, (218-221)
AUTHOR(S) / АУТОР(И): Sanja Lj. Matić, Pavle Z. Mašković, Šipovac B. Katarina
E-ADRESS / Е-АДРЕСА: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
ABSTRACT / САЖЕТАК:
Plants from the genus Scrophularia, family Scrophulariaceae have numerous biological activities such as antibacterial, antioxidant, antiprotozoal, antitumor, hepatoprotective, and antidiabetic. However, as far as we know, genotoxic and antigenotoxic effects of these two plant species remain unexplored. The present study aimed to evaluate possible in vivo protective effects of the methanol extracts of two plant species of the Scrophularia genus, Scrophularia canina L. and S. alata Gilib., against carbon tetrachloride (CCl4)-induced DNA damage in albino Wistar rat. A significant increase in total comet score has been shown in animals receiving CCl4 compared with the negative control. Treatment with either S. alata or S. canina extracts reduced CCl4 induced DNA damage as indicated by the percentage of reduction in total comet score with a value above 50%.
KEY WORDS / КЉУЧНЕ РЕЧИ:
Scrophularia canina, Scrophularia alata, comet assay, in vivo
REFERENCES / ЛИТЕРАТУРА:
- Scheunert, G. Heubl., Phylogenetic relationships among New World Scrophularia L. (Scrophulariaceae): New insights inferred from DNA sequence data, Plant Systematics and Evolution, 291 (2011) 69–89.
- Pasdaran, A. Hamedi., The genus Scrophularia: a source of iridoids and terpenoids with a diverse biological activity, Pharmaceutical Biology, 55 (2017) 2211-2233.
- M. Guarrera, L.M. Lucia., Ethnobotanical remarks on central and southern Italy, Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine, 3 (2007) 23.
- Pasdaran, A. Delazar, H. Nazemiyeh, L. Nahar, S.D. Sarker., Chemical composition, and antibacterial (against Staphylococcus aureus) and free radical-scavenging activities of the essential oils of Scrophularia amplexicaulis Benth, Records of Natural Products, 6 (2012) 350–355.
- S. Germinara, A.M. Frontera, A. De Cristofaro, G. Rotundo., Insecticidal activity of different extracts from Scrophularia canina L. against Culex pipiens molestus Forskal (Diptera, Culicidae), Journal of Environmental Science and Health Part B, 46 (2011) 473–479.
- Ahmed, A.J. Al-Rehaily, T.A. Al-Howiriny, K.A. El-Sayed, M.S. Ahmad., Scropolioside-D2 and harpagoside-B: Two new iridoid glycosides from Scrophularia deserti and their antidiabetic and antiinflammatory activity, Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, 26 (2003) 462–467.
- S. Germinara, A.M. Frontera, A. De Cristofaro, G. Rotundo., Insecticidal activity of different extracts from Scrophularia canina L. against Culex pipiens molestus Forskal (Diptera, Culicidae), Journal of Environmental Science and Health Part B, 46 (2011) 473-479.
- Šipovac, V. Mihailović, S. Solujić, M. Vrvić, M. Mladenović., Antioxidant activity of two species of the Scrophularia genus, XXXII Balkan Medical Week, Niš, Serbia, 21-23 September 2012, Book of Abstract, P77.
- M. Guarrera, L.M. Lucia., Ethnobotanical remarks on Central and Southern Italy, Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine, 3 (2007) 23.
- Passalacqua, P.M. Guarrera, G. De Fine., Contribution to the knowledge of the folk plant medicine in Calabria region (Southern Italy), Fitoterapia, 78 (2007) 52-68.
- De Feo, F. Senatore., Medicinal plants and phytotherapy in the Amalfitan Coast, Salerno Province, Campania, Southern Italy, Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 39 (1993) 39-51.
- P. Singh, M.T. Mc Coy, R.R. Tice, E.L. Schneider., A simple technique for quantitation of low levels of DNA damage in individual cells, Experimental Cell Research, 175 (1988) 184-191.
- Hartmann, G. Speit., The contribution of cytotoxicity to DNA effects in the single cell gel test (Comet assay), Toxicology Letters, 90 (1997) 183–188.
- R. Collins., Comet assay for DNA damage and repair: Principles applications and limitations, Molecular Biotechnology, 26 (2004) 249-261.
- Manoharan, M.R. Banerjee., ß-carotene reduces sister chromatid exchange induce chemical carcinogens in mouse mammary cells in organ culture, Cell Biology International Reports, 9 (1985) 783-789.
- D. Waters, A.L. Brady, H.F. Stack, H.E. Brockman., Antimutagenicity profiles for some models compounds, Mutation Research, 628 (1990) 57-85.