АУТОР(И): Filip Stojkovski, Zoran Markov
The design of radial blade cascades, with the intent to become turbine guide vanes, lies in the basis of satisfying turbine runner needs for a particular turbine design point of interest. For conventional turbine operation, the hydrodynamic parameters in the pre-runner space can be relatively easily estimated. For variable speed turbine operation at the constant head, these parameters change in a way that cannot be easily predicted using conventional techniques. In this paper, the guide vanes, as crucial turbine sub-system which needs to perform efficient runner flow feeding for these operating ranges, are numerically tested in various geometrical shapes and configurations, to observe the cascades behaviour, in a way of estimating which cascade configuration satisfies certain hydrodynamic and efficiency considerations of the operating points of interest. The criteria which the guide vanes need to meet are based on hydrodynamic parameters and expansion of the turbine operating range.
Guide Vanes, CFD, Francis Turbines, Variable Speed Operation (VSO)
- Krivchenko, G.I. Hydraulic Machines – Turbines and Pumps, Mir publishers, Moscow, 1986.
- Barlit V.V. Gidravlichesky turbini, Kiev, 1977.
- Lewis, R.I. Vortex element methods for fluid dynamic analysis of engineering systems, Cambridge University Press, 1991.
- Nordvik, A., Iliev, I., Trivedi, C., Dahlhaug, O.G. Numerical prediction of hill charts of Francis turbines,Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 1266, No. 1, pp. 012011, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1266/1/012011
- Iliev, I., Trivedi, C., Dahlhaug, O.G.Variable-speed operation of Francis turbines: A review of the perspectives and challenges,Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, V 103, pp. 109-121, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2018.12.033
- Stojkovski F., Markov, Z., Kostikj, Z. Design of radial blade cascades using parametrization and correlation of geometry and flow parameters, in Proc. 5th International Scientific Conference COMETa 2020, Jahorina, pp. 274-284, 26-28. November 2020.
- Stojkovski, F., Markov, Z., Stojkovski, V. CFD study of radial guide vane cascade with convex and concave blade sets for variable speed Francis turbines, in Proc. 5th International Conference Mechanical Engineering in XXI century MASING 2020, Niš, pp. 109-114, 2020.
- IEC 60193 – Hydraulic turbines, storage pumps and pump-turbines – Model acceptance tests