АУТОР(И): Vladimir Kurćubić, Slaviša Stajić, Nemanja Miletić, Vesna Đurović, Marko Petković, Marko Dmitrić, Branko Jakovljević
This review paper presents the experiences of a number of countries in the European Union (EU) and around the world that have accepted and managed to reduce sodium intake in meat products and food in general. Different procedures or their combination are in use, noting that in the strategy for the reduction of NaCl content in food, the goals can be achieved only with multi-year, systematically planned and focused activities. Close cooperation of all stakeholders is necessary, with continuous consumer education. The imperative for the success of the aforementioned strategy is to raise the awareness of the widest population at the national level, primarily consumers, as well as the scientific and professional public who transfer their desires and the results of their research and advanced technologies to the food industry.
reduction of Na content, meat products, consumer habits, review
- Albarracín W., Sánchez I.C., Grau R., Barat J.M. (2011). Salt in food processing; usage and reduction: a review. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 46, 1329-1336.
- Carraro C.I., Machado R., Espindola V., Campagnol P.C.B., Pollonio M.A.R. (2012). The effect of sodium reduction and the use of herbs and spices on the quality and safety of bologna sausage. Ciência e Tecnologia de Alimentos, 32(2), 289-295.
- de Almeida M.A., Villanueva N.D.M., da Silva Pinto J.S., Saldaña E., Contreras-Castillo
- C.J. (2016). Sensory and physicochemical characteristics of low sodium salami. Scientia Agricola, 73(4), 347-355.
- Desmond E. (2006). Reducing salt: A challenge for the meat industry. Meat Science, 74, 188-196.
- Dickinson B.D., Havas S. (2007). Reducing the Population Burden of Cardiovascular Disease by Reducing Sodium Intake. A Report of the Council on Science and Public Health. Archives of Internal Medicine, 167(14),1460-1468.
- Frangopoulos T. Andreopoulos D., Tsitlakidou P., Mourtzinos I., Biliaderis C.G., Katsanidis E. (2020). Development of low fat – low salt processed meat products. Journal on Processing and Energy in Agriculture, 24(3-4), 89-94.
- Halpern B.P. (2000). Glutamate and the flavor of foods. Journal of Nutrition, 130(4), 910S-914S.
- Hastaoglu E., Vural H. (2018). New Approaches to Production of Turkish-type Drycured Meat Product “Pastirma”: Salt Reduction and Different Drying Techniques. Korean Journal for Food Science of Animal Resources, 38(2), 224-239. Inguglia E.S., Zhang Z., Tiwari B.K., Kerry J.P., Burgess C.M. (2017). Salt reduction strategies in processed meat products – A review. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 59, 70-78.
- Institute of Medicine (2006): Les apports nutritionnels de référence: Le guide essential de besoins en nutriments. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
- Jin S.K., Hwang J.W., Hur S.J., Kim G.D. (2018). Quality changes in fat-reduced sausages by partial replacing sodium chloride with other chloride salts during five weeks of refrigeration. LWT – Food Science and Technology, 97, 818-824.
- Kim C.-J., Hwang K-E., Song D.-H., Jeong T.-J., Kim H-W., Kim Y-B., Jeon K.-H., Choi Y.-S. (2015). Optimization for Reduced-Fat/Low-NaCl Meat Emulsion Systems with Sea Mustard (Undaria pinnatifida) and Phosphate. Korean Journal for Food Science of Animal Resources, 35(4), 515-523.
- Kurćubić V., Lilić S., Vranić D., Velebit B., Borović B., Okanović Đ. (2014). The effect of sodium reduction on the physico-chemical quality and safety of hot dogs. Proceedings of II International congress “Food technology, quality and safety”, 28-30. October 2014, Novi Sad, Serbia, 60-65.
- Kurćubić V., Okanović Đ., Lilić S., Gubić J., Vranić D. (2015). The effect of sodium content reduction on colour of hot dogs. Proceedings of the IV International Congress “Engineering, environment and materials in processing industry”, 04.03.- 06.03.2015 Jahorina, Republika Srpska, BiH, 227-233.
- Nachtigall F.M., Pyarasani R.D., Rubén Domínguez R., Lorenzo J.M., Pollonio M.A.R., Santos L.S. (2019). Substitution Effects of NaCl by KCl and CaCl2 on Lipolysis of Salted Meat. Foods, 8, 595.
- Okanović Đ., Kurćubić V., Lilić S., Gubić J. Borović B. (2015). The influence of sodium reduction on the quality and safety of hot dogs. Quality of Life, 6(1-2), 25-31.
- Petit G., Jury V., de Lamballerie M., Duranton F., Pottier L., Martin,J.L. (2019). Salt Intake from Processed Meat Products: Benefits, Risks and Evolving Practices. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 18: 1453-1473.
- Peulić T., Ikonić P., Delić J., Gubić J., Mastilović J. (2019). Monitoring of sodium chloride (salt) content in chicken and pork hot dogs from Serbian market. Journal of Agronomy, Technology and Engineering Management, 2(2), 263-267.
- Restrepo-Molina D.A., Arroyave-Maya W., González-Rodríguez D.M., Sepúlveda- Valencia J.U., Ciro-Velásquez H.J. (2019). Design of a sodium-reduced preservative mixture for use in standard frankfurter sausages. DYNA, 86(209), 17-24.
- Ruusunen M., Vainionpää J., Lyly M., Laähteenmäki L., Niemistö M., Ahvenainen R., Puolanne E. (2005). Reducing the sodium content in meat products: The effect of the formulation in low-sodium ground meat patties. Meat Science, 69, 53-60.
- Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition (SACN) (2003). Salt and Health. The Stationery Office, London. ISBN 0-11-243075-9.
- Stanley R.E., Bower C.G., Sullivan G.A. (2017). Influence of sodium chloride reduction and replacement with potassium chloride based salts on the sensory and physico- chemical characteristics of pork sausage patties. Meat Science, 133, 36-42.
- Sugita Y. (1990). Flavor enhancer. In: Food additives, edited by Branen A.L., Davidson P.M., Salminen, 259-296, New York, NY: Dekker.
- Toldrá F., Barat J.M. (2009). Recent patents for sodium reduction in foods. Recent Patents on Food, Nutrition and Agriculture, 1, 80-86.
- Vandendriessche F. (2008). Meat products in the past, today and in the future. Meat Science, 78(1-2), 104-113.
- Wong B.C., Lam S.K., Wong W.M., Chen J.S., Zheng T.T., Feng R.E., Lai K.C., Hu W.H., Yuen S.T., Leung S.Y., Fong D.Y., Ho J., Ching C.K. (2004). Helicobacter pylori eradication to prevent gastric cancer in high-risk region of China: a randomized controlled trail. JAMA, 291, 187-194.
- Xiaosong H. (2007). The food industry and food safety in China. In: Proceedings of the CIES international food safety conference, 31 January-02 Feburary 2007, Munich, Germany.