АУТОР(И): Marko Antonijević, Žiko Milanović, Edina Avdović, Dušica Simijonović, Zoran Marković
Download Full Pdf
For millennia, berberine extracts or berberine itself has been the effective traditional drug with wide application due to its broad spectrum of antibiotic activity. A significant aspect of the berberine’s physiological activity that is often overlooked is the ability to go through the blood-brain barrier and has an impact on different processes and irregularities in the brain such as dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Potential inhibitory activity towards enzymes for which is believed to be involved in these diseases, in this paper is confirmed by molecular docking simulations. Binding energies suggest that berberine exhibits good potential inhibitory activity and confirms that one of the aspects of suppression of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia is the inhibition of cholinesterase enzymes.
Berberine, Molecular docking, Alzheimer’s disease, Plant-based drugs, Traditional medicine
- Boberek, J. M., Stach, J., & Good, L. (2010). Genetic evidence for inhibition of bacterial division protein FtsZ by berberine. PloS one, 5(10), e13745.
- Samosorn, S., Tanwirat, B., Muhamad, N., Casadei, G., Tomkiewicz, D., Lewis, K., … & Bremner, J. B. (2009). Antibacterial activity of berberine-NorA pump inhibitor hybrids with a methylene ether linking group. Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry, 17(11), 3866-3872.
- Imanshahidi, M., & Hosseinzadeh, H. (2008). Pharmacological and therapeutic effects of Berberis vulgaris and its active constituent, berberine. Phytotherapy research, 22(8), 999-1012.
- Vuddanda, P. R., Chakraborty, S., & Singh, S. (2010). Berberine: a potential phytochemical with multispectrum therapeutic activities. Expert opinion on investigational drugs, 19(10), 1297-1307.
- Remppis, A., Bea, F., Greten, H. J., Buttler, A., Wang, H., Zhou, Q., … & Blessing, E. (2010). Rhizoma coptidis inhibits LPS-induced MCP-1/CCL2 production in murine macrophages via an AP-1 and NF B-dependent pathway. Mediators of inflammation, 2010.
- Yin, J., Zhang, H., & Ye, J. (2008). Traditional Chinese medicine in treatment of metabolic syndrome. Endocrine, Metabolic & Immune Disorders-Drug Targets (Formerly Current Drug Targets-Immune, Endocrine & Metabolic Disorders), 8(2), 99-111.
- Hui, H., Tang, G., & Go, V. L. W. (2009). Hypoglycemic herbs and their action mechanisms. Chinese Medicine, 4(1), 1-11.
- Chen, Y., Wang, Y., Zhang, J., Sun, C., & Lopez, A. (2011). Berberine improves glucose homeostasis in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats in association with multiple factors of insulin resistance. International Scholarly Research Notices, 2011.
- Sun, Y., Xun, K., Wang, Y., & Chen, X. (2009). A systematic review of the anticancer properties of berberine, a natural product from Chinese herbs. Anti-cancer drugs, 20(9), 757-769.
- Tan, W., Li, Y., Chen, M., & Wang, Y. (2011). Berberine hydrochloride: anticancer activity and nanoparticulate delivery system. International Journal of Nanomedicine, 6, 1773.
- Gfeller, D., Grosdidier, A., Wirth, M., Daina, A., Michielin, O., & Zoete, V. (2014). SwissTargetPrediction: a web server for target prediction of bioactive small molecules. Nucleic acids research, 42(W1), W32-W38.
- Check, C. E., Faust, T. O., Bailey, J. M., Wright, B. J., Gilbert, T. M., & Sunderlin, L. S. (2001). Addition of polarization and diffuse functions to the LANL2DZ basis set for p-block elements. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 105(34), 8111-8116
- Frisch M. J., Trucks G. W., Schlegel H. B., et al. (2010). Gaussian 09, Revision C.01,Gaussian, Inc., Wallingford, CT, USA.
- Huey, R., Morris, G. M., Olson, A. J., & Goodsell, D. S. (2007). A semiempirical free energy force field with charge-based desolvation. Journal of computational chemistry, 28(6), 1145-1152.
- Morris, G. M., Goodsell, D. S., Halliday, R. S., Huey, R., Hart, W. E., Belew, R. K., & Olson, A. J. (1998). Automated docking using a Lamarckian genetic algorithm and an empirical binding free energy function. Journal of computational chemistry, 19(14), 1639-1662.
- Zhao, Y., & Truhlar, D. G. (2008). Density functionals with broad applicability in chemistry. Accounts of chemical research, 41(2), 157-167.