AUTOR(I): Danijela Kostić
Stara Planina Mt is rich in medicinal plants, that are natural sources of various bioactive substances and have many useful medicinal properties. Rosehip, the fruit of wild rose (Rosa canina L.) is very popular and widely used. There is extensive empirical evidence of its therapeutic effects. The high content of vitamins, organic acids, phenolic compounds, carotenoids and pleasant taste define it as a valuable dietary supplement.
There are different procedures for making rosehip teas. In this paper, we have optimized the process of preparation of rosehip tea from the aspect of maximum extraction and preservation of vitamin C content in tea. The antioxidant activity of aqueous extracts of rosehips, depending on the extraction time and the temperature at which the extraction is performed, was also examined..The free radical scavenging activity of the plant extracts was analyzed by using the 2.2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) assay.
Optimal conditions are 30 minutes and a temperature of 40 °S. In this way, vitamin C is best extracted and its stability is preserved, which results in the high antioxidant activity of the tested teas.
Rosa canina L., tea, vitamin C, antioxidant activity
- Bouzari, A., Holstege, D., Barrett, D. M. (2015). Vitamin Retention in Eight Fruits and Vegetables: A Comparison of Refrigerated and Frozen Storage. Journal of Agriculture Food Chemistry, 63, 957-962. doi.org/10.1021/jf5058793
- Brand-Williams, W., Cuvelier, M. E., Berset, C. (1995). Use of a free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity. Lebensmittel-Wissenschaft und – Technologie, 28, 25-30. doi: 10.1016/S0023-6438(95)80008-5
- Chrubasik, C., Roufogalis, B. R., Müller-Ladner, U., Chrubasik, S. (2008). A systematic review on the Rosa canina effect and efficacy profiles. Phytotherapy Research, 22 (6), 725-733. doi: 10.1002/ptr.2400
- European Pharmacopoeia 6.0 (2008). http://www.fptl.ru/biblioteka/farmacop/EP-7.0-2.pdf
- Gardner, P. T. , White, T. A. C. , McPhail, D. B. , Duthie, G. G. (2000). The relative contributions of vitamin C, carotenoids and phenolics to the antioxidant potential of fruit juices. Food Chemistry, 68 (4), 471-474. doi:10.1016/S0308-8146(99)00225-3
- Georgieva, S., Angelov, G., Boyadzhieva, S. (2014). Concentration of Vitamin C and Antioxidant Activity of Rosehip Extracts. Journal of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy, 49 (5), 451-454.
- İlyasoğlu, H., Arpa, T. E. (2017). Effect of brewing conditions on antioxidant properties of rosehip tea beverage: study by response surface methodology. Journal of Food Scince and Technology, 54 (11), 3737-3743. doi: 10.1007/s13197-017-2794-2
- Kazaz, S., Baydar, H., Erbas, S. (2009). Variations in chemical compositions of Rosa damascena Mill. and Rosa canina L. fruits. Czech Journal of Food Science, 27, 178-184. doi: 10.17221/5/2009-CJFS
- Marković, M., Pljevljakušić, D., Nikolić, B., Rakonjac, Lj. (2020). Application of dog rose (Rosa canina L.) in ethnomedicine of the Pirot County. Pirotski zbornik, 45, 1-16. doi: 10.5937/pirotzbor2045001M
- Patel, S. (2017). Rose hip as an underutilized functional food. Evidence-based review. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 63, 29-38. doi: 10.1016/j.tifs.2017.03.001
- Phillips, K. M., Tarrago-Trani, M. T., Gebhardt, S. E., Exler, J., Patterson, K. Y., Haytowitz, D. B., Pehrsson, P. R., Holden, J. M. (2010). Stability of vitamin C in frozen raw fruit and vegetable homogenates. Journal of Food Composition Analysis, 23, 253-259. doi:10.1016/j.jfca.2009.08.018
- Proteggente, A. R., Pannala, A. S., Paganga, G., Buren, L. V., Wagner, E., Wiseman, S., van de Put, F., Dacombe, C., Rice-Evans, C. A. (2002). The antioxidant activity of regularly consumed fruit and vegetables reflects their phenolic and vitamin C composition. Free Radical Research, 36 (2), 217-233. doi: 10.1080/10715760290006484
- Thuy, N. M., Ha, H. T. N., Tai, N. V. (2020). Kinetics of ascorbic acid loss during thermal treatment in different pH buffer solutions and the presence of oxygen. Food Research, 4 (5), 1513-1519.
- Živković, J., Stojković, D., Petrović, J., Zdunić, G., Glamočlija, J., Soković, M. (2015). Rosa canina L. – new possibilities for an old medicinal herb. Food and Function, 6 (12), 3687-3692. doi: 10.1039/c5fo00820d