1st International Conference on Chemo and BioInformatics, ICCBIKG 2021, (367-370)
AUTHOR(S) / АУТОР(И): Milan S. Dekić, Amina M. Gusinac
E-ADRESS / Е-АДРЕСА: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
ABSTRACT / САЖЕТАК:
Plant samples of Lepidium campestre (L.) W. T. Aiton (pepperwort) were analyzed in detail by GC and GC-MS. The analysis of the autolysates obtained from inflorescences, stems, leaves, and underground parts and the essential oil obtained by hydrodistillation allowed the identification of a series of glucosinolate degradation products, mainly isothiocyanates and nitriles. Besides previously identified ones in this species, the analyses resulted in the identification of degradation metabolites identified in pepperwort for the first time, and suggested the presence of heptyl glucosinolate, 3- phenylpropyl glucosinolate, glucoiberverin, glucoiberin, sinalbin, glucoerucin, glucoberteroin, gluconasturtiin, glucolepigramin, glucolesquerellin, glucobrassicanapin, and glucotropaeolin in this species as the most likely glucosinolate precursors.
The results showed the localized accumulation of glucoberteroin, glucoerucin, and glucolesquerellin in the roots, the plant organ most exposed to pathogens, whereas sinalbin and glucobrassicanapin were accumulated in the reproductive organs and the organs most exposed to herbivores, i.e. in the aerial parts of the plant.
KEY WORDS / КЉУЧНЕ РЕЧИ:
Lepidium campestre, pepperwort, glucosinolates
REFERENCES / ЛИТЕРАТУРА:
- J. W. Fahey, A.T. Zalcmann, P. Talalay, The chemical diversity and distribution of glucosinolates and isothiocyanates among plants, Phytochemistry, 56(1) (2001) 5-51.
- S. Facciola, Cornucopia, Kampong Publications, Vista, CA, 1990.
- T. Elias, P. Dykeman, Edible Wild Plants, Sterling Publishing, New York, 1990.
- P. Nilsson, S. Johansson, A. Merker, Variation in seed oil composition of species from the genera Barbarea and Lepidium, Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica, Section B – Soil & Plant Science, 48(3) (1998) 159-164.
- A: Merker, D. Eriksson, N.-O. Bertholdsson, Barley yield increases with undersown Lepidium campestre. Acta Agriculturae Scandinavica, Section B – Plant Soil Science, 60(3) (2010) 269- 273.
- A.A.M. Andersson, A. Merker, P. Nilsson, H. Sorensen, P. Aman, Chemical composition of the potential new oilseed crops Barbarea vulgaris, Barbarea verna and Lepidium campestre, Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 79(2) (1999) 179-186.
- S. Mohammed, S. Bhattacharya, M.A. Gesing, K. Klupsch, G. Theißen, K. Mummenhoff, C. Müller, Morphologically and physiologically diverse fruits of two Lepidium species differ in allocation of glucosinolates into immature and mature seed and pericarp, PLOS One, 15(8) (2020) e0227528.
- M.S. Dekić, N.S. Radulović, J.B. Danilović-Luković, D.Z. Stojanović, Volatile Glucosinolate Breakdown Products and the Essential Oil of Descurainia sophia (L.) Webb ex Prantl, Facta Universitatis, Series: Physics, Chemistry and Technology, 15 (2017) 95-102.
- M.S. Dekić, E. S. Selimović, New Natural Products from Asphodelus albus Mill. Essential Oil, Chemistry & Biodiversity, 18 (2021) e2100103.